We have all been through the night where you wake up in the morning and look at your phone utterly horrified by your digital behavior. Though there may not be a tiger in the bathroom and for your sake you’re a way better looking version of Zach Galifianakis you lay there in bed trying to piece together the fuzzy digital trail that you left on your phone. With every swipe of your thumb you swat your face in disappointment after every text, drunk tweet and bad picture sent to your internship fling back in New York – yep speaking from personal experience - no judgments please.
An age old debate. The topic of who we dress for has been discussed in the likes of Vogue, The Wall Street Journal, you name it –they said it. But no matter how many journalism degrees one has or how many crowns you are away from the royal throne of Wintour – somehow the debate is still on – and this one we may fight to the death. Move over Katniss – let the hunger games of fashion begin, I kid.
Betsey Johnson once said: “Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves and, of course, each other. If girls dressed for boys they’d just walk around naked at all time.”
They are blonde, tan and make amazing candy. Not to mention they have one of the most gorgeous royal families and amazing music from the likes of Avicii and ABBA. Sweden is an amazing country under estimated for size and power but boy do these blonde bombshells who sound they sing and talk at the same time know how to throw a party.
Bikini season is right around the corner. Literally. Is anyone else with me when I say, "I need to see results fast!" I'm not saying I need to lose weight but I'm talking about tightening up ALL areas. Because when you're wearing that bikini, there aint nothing you can do to hide any of those soft areas. New Yorkers, Chaise23 has the solution for you. Chaise23 is a new and unique core-based workout.
"Formatted to 55 minutes of high energy, fun music provides an intense cardio workout, which blasts countless calories and is all done on the revolutionary fitness chair. Fusing sculpting, flexibility, and cardio, this chair isn’t meant for sitting, but to kick butt! With suspended bungees from the ceiling, the fitness chair challenges and fatigues both large & small muscles. The constant resistance of the chair and arm-resistance bungees exhausts muscles by using repetitive movements in a seamless, Pilates and ballet based technique, creating a well-toned, long, lean, well-aligned, and sculpted body. The Reinvention Method improves flexibility and balance, defining the entire body."
Just after 10 classes, you will start noticing a change in your body. With some dedication and time, you will discover a leaner and tighter body.
They have an outstanding team to guide you through the workout. Their brand spankin' new studios are in Chelsea. Go check 'em out! Right now, they have a new client special offer:
Intro Class $16 // 30 Day Unlimited Classes — $223
Click HERE to check out the FAQ section on Chaise23's site.
Images via Chaise23
Because I'm doing the Ritual Cleanse in the next few weeks, so should you! Let's go through it together. It's absolutely nothing like the Master Cleanse (aka it has nutrients and you won't see a person on the street and think they are a hamburger). Oh the things we do to feel healthier and to lose weight. First and foremost, I want to reiterate, to look great all the time, you need to changed your lifestyle diet. These cleanses are solely for people who just want to feel healthier or possibly use as a "crash diet." Not only are cleanses healthy but they really do boost your mood! Since summer is right around the corner, I am offering my readers 20% off their Habitual Cleanse Order. First hear me out on the benefits!
"The benefits are endless and specific to each individual. Here are the most common benefits Ritual Cleansers report by the end of the program:
- Mental clarity
- Abundance of energy
- Happier Mood
- Better digestion
- Decreased desire for salt and sugar
- Craving for fresh fruits and vegetables
- Glowing skin
- More restful sleep
- Weight loss
- Increased sex drive
- Strong desire to “reset” regularly
Ritual Cleanse was born from the idea that there must be . . . A better way to cleanse. The company’s mission is to provide a superior fresh pressed, 100% organic vegetable and fruit juice cleanse that is packaged in environmentally sound materials and simple enough for busy people to integrate into their life.
The Ritual Cleanse fulfills this mission. The program is designed to include everyone from elite athletes to couch potatoes, raw foodies to fast foodies. The Reset Cleanse floods the cells with vitamins and minerals that gently cleanse and heal your body without the harsh “detox” symptoms associated with other cleanses. The Shred component even provides extra nutrition to fuel workouts.
Whatever category you fall into, whether you are an avid cleanser or a first timer looking for something to kick-start a healthier lifestyle, Ritual has you covered. Ritual makes juice cleansing a simple and rewarding experience by combining the power of nature’s organic produce with man’s most innovative juicer in order to give you a system that is purer, healthier and better for you than any other cleanse on the planet. There are no additives, funky powders, or pills involved, just pure and tasty juice!
Every detail of the Ritual Cleanse honors the founders’ mission, from the juicers and produce to the bottles and coolers they choose. The juicers used at Ritual are estimated to extract at least 4 times more nutrients than the centrifugal juicers used in most juice bars and homes. In addition, one of the many reasons Ritual chooses 100% organic is because organic produce contains 20-50% more nutrients than conventional produce. And with their eco-pledge mind, Ritual’s bottles are 100% recyclable and the reusable coolers the juices come in are made from 100% recyclable materials.
Ritual . . . A better way to cleanse."
For those of you interested, it's your lucky day! Just go to Ritual Cleanse's website and enter the following promo code: theoveranalyst. You will get 20% off your order. Trust me, it's worth it! So get involved and let's do this together! The promotion will end on April 23rd. Happy cleansing!
Have you honestly heard anyone (guy or girl) actually say, "I hate being tan." Everyone is all about the tan. A good tan complements your clothes better, visually makes your body look slimmer and overall, makes you feel sexier. During high school, I ignored all my mom's emails regarding the dangers with tanning. Because spray and airbrush tan had not been invented, I was pro booth for a while. It wasn't until I really started to care about my health and I started to read articles and research on tanning. Obviously, I knew it could cause skin cancer. But just like everyone else, I told myself, "That will never happen to me." Truth is, it could easily happen to me.
According to the Skin Cancer Organization, "A tan, whether you get it on the beach, in a bed, or through incidental exposure, is bad news, any way you acquire it. Tans are caused by harmful ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun or tanning lamps, and if you have one, you’ve sustained skin cell damage.
No matter what you may hear at tanning salons, the cumulative damage caused by UV radiation can lead to premature skin aging (wrinkles, lax skin, brown spots, and more), as well as skin cancer. In fact, indoor ultraviolet (UV) tanners are 74 percent more likely to develop melanoma than those who have never tanned indoors."
After college, I decided to stop tanning as much as I used to. I would only go every so often when I had a grand event I wanted to look my best at. But there was a huge wake up call when one of my girlfriends was diagnosed with Melonoma. Her doctor was able to treat it at a very early stage of the diagnosis. Thank God. However, she happened to be one of my friends who took care of skin. It was only in high school that she tanned frequently. So sometimes the frequency of how often you tan doesn't determine how healthy your skin is. Our bodies react differently to the sun. It's just really important to take care of your skin. Make sure to always wear your sunblock, buy face moisturizer with SPF, wear hats and try not to stay in the sun for too long. Remember, there's nothing healthy about a tan.
There are so many products and solutions to give your skin great color without the harmful effects. I recently tried Suvara. A spray tan service, only offered in New York. However, as most people know, there are many other spray tan services offered in around the country. I have tried the spray tan machines which are great. They usually run from $25-$30. But my new obsession is the spray tan services that have tanning specialists. I should warn you that you completely stand in the nude while they work their magic. Why it's better than the machines? Mainly because they do an incredible amount of detailing and the product is much better (lasting much longer). Services like these run from about $70-$90.
Here is some more info on services like Suvara:
"At Suvara, our mission is simple, to help protect as many people from the dangers traditional tanning and the harmful UV rays can wreak on your skin. We have researched, developed and tested the formula of our customized, proprietary solutions to include specific ingredients to protect the health of your skin.
Our solutions are 100% natural, with no harsh chemicals. Only the essential vitamins , moisturizers and anti-wrinklingingredients necessary to rejuvenate, replenish and protect your skin. Our staff of highly trained, experienced specialists will personalize your tan from a light glow to a dark ‘been on the beach’ tan specific to your skin tone. We’re confident Suvara's flawless, natural result will make you look your best and feel your best. Experience the perfect airbrush tan and spray on body treatments with results so flawless, only you will know.
Suvara started with a simple objective, provide our clients with a safe, healthy alternative to UV tanning. The reality is that people like to be tan – we look better…we feel better. But the hard truth is it's just not good for us. Over the last several years it's become more and more documented that the UV radiation from the sun, tanning beds and tanning booths is very harmful. The challenge though, is that most people's experience with a "spray-tan" is that it doesn't look natural.
Suvara solves that problem.
Through our products: Suvara products have been formulated to not only provide you with the perfect tan, but to deliver healthy benefits to your skin.
Rejuvenate Vitamins A & C stimulate cell renewal and increase the skin's production of collagen and elastin improving texture, reducing fine lines and wrinkles, and reducing discoloration from years of sun exposure.
Protect CoQ10 boosts your skin's immune system against environmental damage defending against the signs of aging, increasing cellular rejuvenation, improving elasticity and firmness
Replenish Hyaluronic Acid, a natural constituent in the skin that decreases with age, holds nearly one thousand times its weight in water locking in moisture for smother, softer skin
With our Staff : All Suvara Tanning Specialist have completed our rigorous certification program. Each are highly trained in skin care, all aspects of sun-less tanning, and the breadth of Suvara products. They will answer all of your questions and advise you in how to achieve the most natural result. They will personalize your tan from a light glow to a dark "been on the beach" tan specific to your skin tone and your desire.
We're confident Suvara's flawless, natural result will make you look your best, feel your best, and bring compliments."
Check out my rockin' HEALTHY tan!
A case of the mean reds – something that really struck home this week when a bunch of little things threw me into a downward spiral and I got stuck among the pity dwellers. We all know that we can’t be Audrey Hepburn sitting in a bleakly furnished apartment in New York City strumming Moon River on our ukulele’s while hanging on foot out of the fire escape.
Sometimes life just demands a bit too much from us. Rather we are left to deal with our feelings and emotions in non-Glee fashion we can’t break out in song to change it. I think some of the most prophetic words someone ever said to me were:
“If you don’t like the way things are all you have to do is change your mind.”
Prophetic words from a college professor afforded to me after several thousands in tuition later, which I probably could have found for free on Google – but nonetheless it stuck with me. So I found it appropriate on Friday the 13th of all days to offer up wisdom of 5 steps that can take you from the “mean reds” to the hot pinks and yellows of emotional bliss on a day that is usually left for the superstitious and scared:
1. Wine - Honestly I don’t really care what anyone says, sometimes a stiff drink is really what it is going to take! I know alcohol is a depressant after several glasses and all the jazz but truthfully after a long day where my motivation lacks getting my butt to the gym to get high on those “natural” endorphins sometimes you just have to open a good bottle. I find that a light sauvignon blanc or crisp chard will do the trick. No need to add reds to a mean case of them already – that’s just bad karma!
2. Running – After my aforementioned wine worshiping, you have to burn those calories somehow. Just being outside and running, will get the aggression out. For a single girl, when you don’t have time to work it out on someone, this is a healthy (and for his sake – maybe the right) alternative. Plus, thanks to the Canadians and their brilliant studies “Running Can Make You a Sex God.” My advice, get a good playlist going. Mine includes the soundtrack to the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show – mash-ups and some killer British Rock Music and let be honest the motivation to run just a bit faster and a bit longer.
3. Good Friends – You have those friends that make going out epic. Others that can be good movie buddies and then you have those girls – your Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte’s of the world that no matter what color your mood are there for you every step of the way. Those are the ones to call. I have to admit I am not one to bug people with trivial problems but what I learned was that they are there for the trivial stuff – lean on them and tell them. I got some of the best advice from my circle this week and could not be more thankful to have such a strong family of friends.
4. Plan Ahead – After an amazing weekend in my favorite city in the world I had to face work, laundry, life drama and then the slow oncoming of my week of foul moods. Around Wednesday, literally the Marianas Trench of the mean reds, two ticks short of crying my friend reminded me of my weekend coming up. A weekend full of birthday parties, pool days and a photo shoot. I TOTALLY FORGOT! This was a mood changer and deal breaker for the better. Make sure to make plans with the people that bring you up the most, pull you out of your “funk and into the fabulous.” (That could totally be a Sex and The City line – and I stole it.)
5. Change Something – This is the biggie but you know it’s totally worth it because we have all been in those life funks where we just need a change – a new apt decoration, hairstyle, trip – something that isn’t just a new dress to make you feel good for a day or two. So tomorrow I am getting a haircut and color. I will of course stay blonde but it’s time for that summer blonde that will bring me into a new season and new look. Sometimes like Carrie, we need a new hairstyle to spring us forward, a new apartment to cleanse the bad and in my case a ticket for my next trip not sure where but I need the next milestone to look forward to.
So happy planning and changing – nothing can be more exciting than stepping out of your red’s and shining like gold! Got any other’s that work for you? Leave a comment and let me know! I am always open to new things…
So thanks to a friend of mine who has now become my book fairy – determining my iBooks choices one download at a time I recently began reading Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James.
Recently a contributor on the Today Show called it, “The read something every man should pick up” – learning how to navigate the guilty pleasures of his fantasizing woman in this glorified 2012 Danielle Steele-esque trashy beach novel.
They weren’t wrong – about 150 pages into the steamy read I decided the book would be a good way to pass the time on my three hour flight toNew York Cityfor Easter weekend. Let’s just say a very common four letter word appearing on a page multiple times in close proximity will absolutely have you cheating your iPad screen towards the wall of the plane.
Reading such a steamy page turner definitely found me feeling like I was doing something wrong in such close quarters. Like any minute now the eight year old after his PS2 dies pokes his head over the seat and just happens to be a little too advanced in his third grade reading only to ask mommy – “What does foreplay mean?” I was lucky enough to get a window seat and took the cue that also the 40 year old man next to me would probably not be able to read the equivalent of 8pt font as I quickly sped through the page turner all the way throughOklahoma,Missouri, and Cleveland.
Somewhere aroundAllentown, Anastasia Steele (great name!) was in full swing with Mr. Grey and many surfaces of Mr. Grey’s apartment were being tackled all Eyes-Wide-Shut. The poignant inner monologue of Ms. Steele adds a comical undertone to the book laughing at the most inappropriate page turning of moments – leaving me in a small close quartered plane giggling to myself while leaning towards the window like my middle seat neighbor was carrying a venereal disease.
The read nonetheless was a book I couldn’t put down and in all of the sick and twisted plot lines I have read – recently including The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson; Fifty Shades of Grey is worth the read and the indulgence.
Sidenote: I found it ironic that I felt the need to tackle this particular novel having to face my parents at baggage claim for Easter weekend – I think there may be one more “Hail Mary” in it for me this Sunday at church – but then again I’m only human.
Make sure to pick it up – Available for $9.99 on iBooks and read a synopsis of the book from the author’s site here.
In June I will be coming up on my one year mark of living on my own. One thing about Dallas is that the cost of living is extremely effective when you’re making next to nothing on a 50 hour work week – and for many sometimes longer. Although my trips to Neiman Marcus are now few and far between compared to my parent funded college days, my good friend reminded me today how lucky I was to be able to live on my own and call my own shots in my gorgeous apartment.
I am one lucky bitch. Living in Dallas has afforded me a lifestyle that guaranteed any other city would laugh at on my salary. But there are perks to living autonomously, without a roommate, in any city and you can bet I embrace every last one. So for all of you ladies with a similar goal, here are the top ten things to look forward to when you make it and break it all on your own:
- Shower singing. I prefer anything Whitney Houston and there is the occasional showing of some Wilson Phillip’s that makes it into my shower set rocking out to my speakers while holding some heat defense Dove Shampoo.
- Being completely content with a Friday night in. Honestly after a long week, sometimes all that is worth saving up for is a date with your DVR or on demand schedule; the lighting the way you want it and your favorite oversized t-shirt with some cookies on your couch. This was me last week and it was simply marvelous!
- Walking around naked. I know this is every school boy fantasy but let’s be honest with ourselves ladies - when no one is around and the blinds are down, there is nothing like getting things done completely naked right out of the shower. Really now. Let’s be real here…
- Decorating for you. It’s easy to convince yourself that the décor you and a roommate select is either budget savvy or mutually agreed upon that you have the same taste. Who would have guessed that you have the EXACT same taste. Though you may be lying to yourself and a roommate seeing as how she knows where you sleep, there is nothing like adding a little of your own personal flare that truly makes a space all about you and not restricting your personal style to a bedroom and a closet.
- The security. Knowing a phantom hook-up, boogey man or late night opening of your front door won’t occur unless it’s you doing the opening. This is something I covet as a single gal. I did the promiscuous roommate thing and not going to lie it’s fun to hear footsteps to bust her later for a late night encounter. But all in all I like knowing that sometimes when I go to bed it’s just me myself and my bear (ummm… no judgments please).
- You’re night out on the town routine. Living alone requires no competition for bathroom mirrors, hair dryer power and certainly playing DJ when maybe ABBA’s Dancing Queen is all that is going to get you in the mood to go out. It amazes me how playing DJ on a Friday after a long week at work can be a total determinant of a bar night versus dance night and you bet that living alone, you’re in full control.
- Experimenting in the kitchen. One thing I am learning to do is to cook. After investing in several cookbooks, I have been so eager to try cooking even if it is for one. Let’s just say if curry is in your future you will have no one to blame but yourself when your apartment smells of an NYC Gyro cart. I pray if you are at all like me you have a fully functioning fan and patio door to air out the Ashram-atic aromas if you decide that venturing to the Far East is worth the good eats.
- Entertaining. So I confess, one of my many reality TV pleasures garnered a Monday night viewing party where several of those nights were spent on the most amazing IKEA movie viewing couch ever with my closest friends. Hosting events is not only one of my favorite things but surrounding yourself with good food, good wine (crucial) and having friends over on a weekly basis are not something a roommate can always put up with.
- Boys, Boys, Boys. One thing about being in your apartment by yourself with your man is anything can happen. With long “movie” nights and great weekend mornings there is something to be said for having your private time with your “oh so special” someone and being able to call your own shots behind closed doors.
- Knowing that you made it. Though my dreams lie with living and working autonomously in NYC, there is a feeling of living and working on your own and supporting yourself that doesn’t hit you for a while. There is nothing like the thrill of knowing that making or breaking it lies solely with you and that the key to leading a full life is in the struggle of surviving all on your own.
So best of luck finding that autonomous living, though it may not ever be around the corner I hope you are inspired to find the personality in your life choices, living situations and goals even if it means some naked, curry cooking, on a Friday night when you have a date with your DVR’ed version of Desperate Housewives.
Image via She Knows Canada