A case of the mean reds – something that really struck home this week when a bunch of little things threw me into a downward spiral and I got stuck among the pity dwellers. We all know that we can’t be Audrey Hepburn sitting in a bleakly furnished apartment in New York City strumming Moon River on our ukulele’s while hanging on foot out of the fire escape.
Sometimes life just demands a bit too much from us. Rather we are left to deal with our feelings and emotions in non-Glee fashion we can’t break out in song to change it. I think some of the most prophetic words someone ever said to me were:
“If you don’t like the way things are all you have to do is change your mind.”
Prophetic words from a college professor afforded to me after several thousands in tuition later, which I probably could have found for free on Google – but nonetheless it stuck with me. So I found it appropriate on Friday the 13th of all days to offer up wisdom of 5 steps that can take you from the “mean reds” to the hot pinks and yellows of emotional bliss on a day that is usually left for the superstitious and scared:
1. Wine – Honestly I don’t really care what anyone says, sometimes a stiff drink is really what it is going to take! I know alcohol is a depressant after several glasses and all the jazz but truthfully after a long day where my motivation lacks getting my butt to the gym to get high on those “natural” endorphins sometimes you just have to open a good bottle. I find that a light sauvignon blanc or crisp chard will do the trick. No need to add reds to a mean case of them already – that’s just bad karma!
2. Running – After my aforementioned wine worshiping, you have to burn those calories somehow. Just being outside and running, will get the aggression out. For a single girl, when you don’t have time to work it out on someone, this is a healthy (and for his sake – maybe the right) alternative. Plus, thanks to the Canadians and their brilliant studies “Running Can Make You a Sex God.” My advice, get a good playlist going. Mine includes the soundtrack to the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show – mash-ups and some killer British Rock Music and let be honest the motivation to run just a bit faster and a bit longer.
3. Good Friends – You have those friends that make going out epic. Others that can be good movie buddies and then you have those girls – your Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte’s of the world that no matter what color your mood are there for you every step of the way. Those are the ones to call. I have to admit I am not one to bug people with trivial problems but what I learned was that they are there for the trivial stuff – lean on them and tell them. I got some of the best advice from my circle this week and could not be more thankful to have such a strong family of friends.
4. Plan Ahead – After an amazing weekend in my favorite city in the world I had to face work, laundry, life drama and then the slow oncoming of my week of foul moods. Around Wednesday, literally the Marianas Trench of the mean reds, two ticks short of crying my friend reminded me of my weekend coming up. A weekend full of birthday parties, pool days and a photo shoot. I TOTALLY FORGOT! This was a mood changer and deal breaker for the better. Make sure to make plans with the people that bring you up the most, pull you out of your “funk and into the fabulous.” (That could totally be a Sex and The City line – and I stole it.)
5. Change Something – This is the biggie but you know it’s totally worth it because we have all been in those life funks where we just need a change – a new apt decoration, hairstyle, trip – something that isn’t just a new dress to make you feel good for a day or two. So tomorrow I am getting a haircut and color. I will of course stay blonde but it’s time for that summer blonde that will bring me into a new season and new look. Sometimes like Carrie, we need a new hairstyle to spring us forward, a new apartment to cleanse the bad and in my case a ticket for my next trip not sure where but I need the next milestone to look forward to.
So happy planning and changing – nothing can be more exciting than stepping out of your red’s and shining like gold! Got any other’s that work for you? Leave a comment and let me know! I am always open to new things…